Welcome to Year 5
Sports Day on Wednesday 3rd July
Milton Keynes theatre trip Thursday 11th July
Welcome to Upper Key Stage 2 Parent booklet - 2018/19
To aid every child's learning whilst in year five, the following is a list of requirements:
- Every child is expected to have their own pencil case in school comprising of; writing pencils, colouring pencils, eraser, sharpener and handwriting pen (blue ink)
- Children are able to move onto fountain pen (blue ink) in year five when they achieve a fluent handwriting style. Teachers will inform children when they can move onto fountain pen.
- Children should be reading at least three times a week at home. Children are able to record their reading in their reading records, however, they need this countersigned by an adult.
- When reading at home, the emphasis should be on the understanding of the text and inference skills (reading between the lines) see questions sheet further down this page.
- Times tables are a very important part of mathematics, by year five children are expected to know and be able to recall all x table facts up to 12 x 12 with speed and accuracy.
Please support your child with their learning, there are various free websites that you could use, including MyMaths, which your child will have a log on for.
- P.E takes place every Wednesday and Friday, please ensure children have the correct kit for this time of year, with their names clearly labelled.
- Please encourage your child to use their purple mash long on, this website can be used to support learning across the subjects and develop their computing confidence and skills.
Summer 2 'Toys and Games'
In numeracy this half term we will be covering:
Fractions and percentages
Measures (mass, volume and capacity)
Area and volume of shapes
In literacy we are looking at Macbeth by William Shakespeare,
this will include:
Please feel free to share any other Shakespeare stories together!
for week beginning 1st July –
Summer 1 'Toys and Games'
Numeracy coverage this half term will include:
Transformations ans co-ordinates
The four main operations
In English, we will be looking at the book 'FArTHER' by Grahame Baker-Smith, this will include:
chronology of events
Grammar is taught throughout these areas.
Spring 2 2019
In numeracy this half term we will be covering area and perimeter, 2D and 3D shapes, mental and written division, measurement and volume, statistics and calculations.
Our Literacy begins with two weeks of reading 'Kensuke's Kingdom', this ties in with book week. We will be looking at a range of curriculum objectives linked to the story, including art (painting), geography (maps and places), history (WWII) and environmental issues.
Spring 2 Front Cover
Spring 1 2019
In Numeracy, we will be covering:
Place Value (including negative numbers);
The four operations (Addition, Subtraction, Division and Multiplication);
Measurement (Length, Mass and Capacity); and
Geometry (Shape, Reflection and Translation).
There will be a continuing focus on reasoning skills.
In Literacy, we will be focusing on the book ‘Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief’ by Rick Riordan, using this as a stimulus to further develop their reading and writing skills. The children continue to develop the Year 5 objectives, such as using fronted adverbials, parentheses, relative clauses and tools to create atmosphere within their writing. We will be watching the film, which is PG rated, and if you have any concerns with this, please contact the office and leave a message.
Spring 1 2019 Front Cover
Spring Term Dates
Tuesday 8th January - Children return to school
W/b 21st January - Humanities week
Tuesday 5th February - Internet Safety Day
Friday 15th February - Last day of half term
Monday 25th February - Children return to school
W/b 4th March - Book Week
25th/27th March - Parents' Consultation Evenings
Thursday 4th April - Last day of term
Accelerated Reader Powerpoint
Key Stage 2 are now Internet Legends! We had a visit from Google and they talked us through how to be safe online. It was great fun and very interactive. Have a look at the Google Internet Legends website (https://beinternetlegends.withgoogle.com/en_uk) to find out more and also to play the online Internet Legends game.