Welcome to Year 4
Welcome to Year 4
We hope you all had a lovely time over the summer and are ready to start the new school year, so on behalf of everyone, a warm welcome to Year 4.
English lessons this half term are linked to the book ‘How to Train your Dragon’ by Cressida Cowell. This book will provide an interesting stimulus to teach and improve the pupil’s writing skills. Children will have the opportunity to write a set of instructions, a diary and a story.
The teaching of reading will focus on retrieval and inference skills. Children will continue to use accelerated reader to select books and then quiz.
Grammar and spelling skills will be taught specifically in SPaG lessons and integrated into literacy lessons. We will be sending home weekly spellings, in reading logs for children to practise, for a weekly spelling test. Please support your child in learning these in a way that suits their individual needs.
Week 1- place value up to 1000 including tenths
Week 2 – rounding to the nearest 10/100/1000
Week 3- Adding using partitioning
Week 4-Addition word problems
Week 5 – Subtraction word problems
Week 6 – Angles
Week 7- Fractions of amounts
S.T.E.M week – Begins Monday 7th October
Parents’ Evening –14th and 16th October
Half term ends – 17th October
- Every child is expected to have their own small pencil case in school comprising of; writing pencils, colouring pencils, eraser, sharpener and a blue handwriting pen.
- Please ensure your child is wearing the correct uniform and all items of their clothing are clearly labelled.
- Encourage your child to use their logins for www.purplemash and My Maths as this will support learning across the curriculum as well as develop their computing skills.
- Your child reads at least 3 times a week and has their reading log signed.
- Please ensure your child’s leaning log is completed and sent to school on the date specified